Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ca$h (2010)


    Before I start talking about this film and as to whether or not Sean dies in it I would like to warn those who have not seen this film that there will be spoilers contained within. The name of this blog kind of gives that away doesn't it?

    This morning was the first time I have ever seen this movie. This is due to the fact that I work a lot, I don't stalk his IMDB profile, and it wasn't widely released theatrically in this country. With that being said I find it to be an entertaining film and Sean is without a doubt the best actor in it. Before I say any more about that let's dig into the plot a bit. Sean plays a fellow named Pyke Kubic who promises his twin brother Reese, who is in jail, that he will fetch some money. It was stolen in a heist, packed in a suitcase and thrown from an overpass before he was caught and arrested. Sounds simple right? Well, the suitcase lands on the hood of car owned by Sam, played by Chris Hemsworth, who proceeds to start spending it with the help of his wife Leslie, who is played by Victoria Profeta. Pyke tracks them down and demands that they give him the money.

    Most of the movie deals with Pyke getting his money back and with how these three particular characters deal with each other. Sean is by far the best actor that appears in it because he is believable playing the 'heavy'. Anybody who is a fan of his knows that it's kind of his specialty and why he plays that type of character in so many films. When he walks in and starts destroying their belongings you can easily believe that he will hurt them if they don't produce the cash. To be quite honest I kind of wish he hurts them more than he does in the film because those two characters come across as kind of mildly idiotic. If I found a suitcase full of cash I wouldn't wildly spend it and buy things such as a brand new $70,000 Range Rover, because I figure it would be drug money or some such thing. Sam has to talk Leslie into spending it but it only takes about two minutes. They have no common sense and pretty much deserve what happens to them.

     Since Sam and Leslie are unlikeable to me it makes me like Pyke all the more. Okay, I'll admit it, I usually root for the bad guys when I watch a film. Plus, I'm a huge fan of Sean and that makes me root for the character he's playing no matter whether it be of the good or bad variety. I'm not claiming to be totally impartial, but I really don't see how anybody could find those two characters to be totally sympathetic. Also, there is the fact that Profeta isn't a very good actress. Her reactions to the situation that her character finds herself in seem really forced. I don't know whether it's because she is in a film with more experienced actors or the director told her to play it that way, but there were several scenes in which I really wanted Pyke to do her some damage. However, he does tell her to shut up several times, rejects her sexual advances and calls her out on enjoying the fact that seems to take a shine to robbing stores.

     Sean plays Pyke quite well and it's a complex character instead of being just a one dimensional evil sort of fellow. Pyke is a financial whiz who can crunch numbers at a drop of the hat, he practices some sort of yoga, and can be cheeky when the mood suits him. There are times in the film in which the character is being really violent but it's sort of a turn on. I don't know whether or not that's because I find Sean to be attractive or I'm sort of twisted individual. If that character forced me to sit next to him and stroked my arm I would need to fan myself from the excitement of it all. With that being said Sean can continue to play violent bad guys for as long as he wants to because I will be the last person to complain about it.

    I can imagine that some of you reading this are getting impatient and want me to get down to the nitty gritty, to tell you exactly what happens to Sean's character in this film. Well, it's actually not exactly cut and dry since he plays twins. He does indeed die in this movie, but then he doesn't. Meaning that Pyke is shot in the head by the annoying couple and then compacted in a car while his brother walks out of prison in the end of the film to hopefully meet out some justice. I really don't want to see a sequel because just the happy thought of those two getting what is coming to them makes me giddy enough. That's right, I want to see those two die a horrible death for what they did to Pyke. Why is it that Sean's evil and far more interesting characters always have to shuffle off before anything happens to the people who kill him? Perhaps that is a mystical question that we are not allowed to know.



 

1 comment: