Monday, June 20, 2011

Musings On Game Of Thrones

 

    This isn't going to be a review exactly because I have a lot to say about the series and about Sean Bean's performance in it in general. I wanted to wait until it was all over before writing anything because I had no idea whether or not they would add or subtract anything in the adaptation of the books. If I had written this before the last episode and all of a sudden there were unicorns and a surprise appearance by Tom Cruise then I would have felt like I was depriving you the audience of something. What is that something? I haven't quite figured that one out as yet.

    I had read all of the books this series is based on a few years back. In fact I had read them all a few times, so I was very happy when I found out that they were going to be adapted into a television series. Imagine how even more happy I was finding out that Sean was going to be playing Ned Stark. Shortly after that surprise, I'm talking merely seconds, I was then sad because in my mind I thought that well, there he goes dying yet again! Even though I had read the books a lot in the past, and had forgotten some details, I totally remembered that the character gets beheaded. In fact I remember crying the first time I read that section of the book because I thought that it was so sad that such a cool character was offed by an inbred little brat.

    With all of that being said I think that Sean did a very fine job in this series and I'm very happy that he was allowed to keep his accent in it. If they would have made him do a posh accent in that role it wouldn't have worked for me at all. Not every single character in a series is going to have exactly the same accent. There is nothing worse than watching a film or series and having to hear everybody attempting to sound the same. It never works because the English actors will either sound too posh or if they are forced to sound American it will sound totally generic. For some reason when English accents are used in a series it feels more serious than say when American ones are used. Could you imagine the series I Claudius being done with American accents? Neither could I.

    One thing I noticed about Sean in this series is that he gained some weight for it. It's really noticeable in the first episode, in fact more so than in the rest. At first I thought I was going a little nutty but when I asked my boyfriend if he looked especially more plump in the beginning he agreed. I always imagined Stark to be a little tubby because he was an aging warrior type character so that was the right choice in my opinion. There is nothing worse than somebody being in a book based film and having not fit into the physical characteristics of a character at all. Let me take that back, because I find that actors who do not physically fit into historically based roles bother me even more; Jonathan Rhys Meyers in The Tudors comes to mind. This may sound a bit uppity but to be quite honest I couldn't even finish the first episode of The Tudors because Meyers is just about physically the opposite of Henry VIII.

    I have read that Sean may appear in some future episodes as a flashback character. I honestly can't remember if that happened in the books or not so we shall see. Hopefully that will work and won't be written as some over sentimentalized garbage. I don't want Jon Snow sitting in camp with his balled fist holding his cheek up reminiscing about the good times he and his father shared while a tear drips down his face. If that sort of thing happens I will turn it right off! Also, I wouldn't want him to be a total ghost of Macbeth type figure who just stands there silently while pointing at somebody like he is frozen in some sort of disco move. That is sort of disturbing image to ponder isn't it? Now I have Staying Alive stuck in my head...oh great.

    His performance was so strong in this series that I feel that he should get some sort of nomination for it. Ned Stark is a very complex character and Sean really had to put on different acting hats as it were. He had to connect with Arya, behead somebody and show genuine contrition. I don't think many actors could have pulled it all off convincingly. This role is probably going to open even more doors for him which can only be a good thing. As long as he doesn't start doing romantic comedies I am very happy for him. Could you imagine him appearing in a film with Jennifer Aniston? The very thought makes me shudder in horror.

    Well, I guess this ended up being a sort of review didn't it? If you haven't been able to tell I love the series and hope that the second season is as well done. I will still be watching even though Sean is no longer starring in it.

 A2BQ9K6ZD9TG 
Above is claim token to have this blog confirmed. Will be removed once they check to see that I am not a bot of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment